The Halloween Horror edition
Horror in the seas, and Halloween fun in the town. What are you up to this weekend?
Shoreham boat caught in Brexit dispute with the French
A scallop vessel that sails out of Shoreham Harbour has been detained in the French port Le Harve. The Scottish-owned boat was fishing without a licence, claim French authorities. Macduff Shellfish, who own the Cornelis Gert Jan, claim it was fishing legally.
This appears to be a result of heightened tensions with the French post-Brexit, with Foreign Secretary Liz Truss taking the unusual step of summoning the French Ambassador to explain what is happening.
Horror in the seas
The week seems to have been dominated by the news that the government voted against an amendment to stop the water companies dumping sewage into our rivers and seas. Our MP, to his credit, was one of a handful on the Conservative benches that voted for the amendment.
The general public horror — the scramble by some MPs to claim that they didn’t know what they were voting for — has not been very impressive.
In the meantime, yet more sewage went into our seas:
New Shoreham resident has photo exhibition in London
Mark Adri-Soejoko relocated to Shoreham-by-Sea after the death of his Dad and the murder of his Mum. His exhibition, which is part of The London Photo Show, mediates on grit and loss through his experiences of the city he left behind: London.
New buildings at Shoreham Airport
Five new distribution buildings are planned for the area of the airfield by the new pumping station.
This is what they look like, based on the planning application:
Self-storage in Southwick
There are plans to replace the Albion Street lorry park with a new self-storage facility:
- Criminal gang with links to Shoreham, jailed.
- Colossal looks at the work of local artist Louise Durham. You can check out her site.
- Interesting memoir of wartime Shoreham from a soldier billeted here.
- As noted last week, the old yacht club is completely demolished, after 60 years.
- Sewer flood in Lancing…
- And has SOLD overdone its Halloween window display?
- Shoreham FC lose to Roffey 5-3
- And 4-0 to Guildford. (And they had two goalies sent off in the process!)
- But here’s a little more about how they won that strategy award.
The Week Ahead
A round-up of events happening in Shoreham-by-Sea in the coming week.
- 2.00pm — Jay Foreman’s Disgusting Songs For Revolting Children at the Ropetackle
- 3.00pm — Halloween Spooktacular at the Crabtree
- 4.00pm — Howlin’ Werewolf at the Duke of Wellington
- 7.00pm — Halloween Night at the Bridge
- 7.30pm — Halloween Barn Dance at the Shoreham Centre — more information.
- 7.30pm — An evening of Gilbert & Sullivan at the Ropetackle
- 7.30pm — Phillip Hilton Pop Up at Tom Foolery
- 7.30pm — Halloween Party at The Mooring
- 8.00pm — Dean Bryant — DJ presents “Back in the Day” at the Duke of Wellington
- 8.00pm — Halloween Disco at the Longshore
- 8.00pm — Halloween Party at the Waterside
- 8.00pm — Is it safe to return? Halloween for Adults at the Crabtree
- 8.30pm — Paul Stenton Band at the Piston Broke
- 9.00pm — Floor Fillers at the Crown & Anchor
- 11.00am — Tutti Frutti Productions Presents The Princess And The Pea at the Ropetackle
- 1.00pm — Lee Pryor Acoustic Rock at the Bridge
- 2.00pm — Tutti Frutti Productions Presents The Princess And The Pea at the Ropetackle
- 4.30pm — Stuart Brand playing 80s Rock at the Piston Broke
- 5.00pm — Halloween Party — with Shunta — A Gypsy Orchestra at the Duke of Wellington
- 7.30pm — City Books presents Robin Ince: The Importance Of Being Interested at the Ropetackle
- 6.30pm — Young Voices Community Choir (9 to 15-year-olds) at the Church of the Good Shepherd
- 10.30am — Age is a Stage: Drama Workshop for over-50s at The Ropetackle
- 7.30pm — Film: Nomadland at the Ropetackle
- 8.30pm — Crown & Anchor Quiz Night
8.00pm — The Tannahill Weavers at the Ropetackle
- 7.30pm — Little Crawdaddy DJ Set at the Duke of Wellington
- 7.30pm — John Crace: A Farewell to Calm book launch at the Ropetackle
- 6.00pm — Firework event and disco at the Harbour Club
- 7.00pm — Club Night at the Sussex Yacht Club
- 8.00pm — Hayseed Dixie at The Ropetackle
- 9.00pm — Back to the 80s at the Crown & Anchor
Want your event listed here? Email us at [email protected].